Steward Health Care System to Settle Medicare and Medicaid Kickback Allegations for $4.7 Million
The United States and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (collectively, “the Government”) have reached a settlement (the “Settlement”) of approximately $4.7 million with the Steward Health Care System LLC (“Steward”). This settlement arose as a consequence of the Government’s investigation of allegations contained in a False Claims Act complaint (“the Complaint”) filed by three Massachusetts relators. Steward is the largest, private, for-profit healthcare network in the country and owns and operates multiple hospitals in Massachusetts and other states.
The whistleblowers, including two doctors who practiced at Steward, Stephen M. Zappala, M.D and Olivia Lanna, M.D., filed their lawsuit on behalf of the Government in the U.S. District Court of Massachusetts in 2018. They were represented by Lisa Arrowood and Sarah Sousa of Arrowood LLP and Jeanne Markey and Gary Azorsky of Cohen Milstein Sellers & Toll PLLC based in Washington D.C. Ms. Arrowood and Ms. Sousa also represent Dr. Zappala in connection with litigation pending in Massachusetts state court alleging, among other things, that he was wrongly terminated for complaining about Steward’s policies in discouraging referrals to doctors and hospitals outside the Steward system.
“Our firm has from the start represented underdogs in difficult cases, and the whistleblowers in this case demonstrated real courage in coming forward,” said Lisa Arrowood, founding partner with Arrowood LLP.
The whistleblowers in the federal action alleged, inter alia, that Steward had both provided payments to specialists, such as urologists, for services which were not performed, and rented space from providers in order to induce patient referrals to its Accountable Care Organization. Under the terms of the Settlement, neither the federal nor state government takes any position as to the violations of the False Claims Act alleged in the Complaint and as part of the resolution of this matter the Complaint is being voluntarily dismissed.
As part of the Settlement, Steward admits and accepts responsibility for three categories of conduct which it voluntarily disclosed to the Government. First, Steward disclosed to the Government that it had “failed to charge the proper rent” on leases it had with approximately 50 physicians, physician organizations and non-physician organizations resulting in rent payments below fair market value. It thereby may have violated the anti-kickback statute or the Stark Law prohibiting physician self-referrals. Second, Steward disclosed to the Government that the Steward Good Samaritan Medical Center, Inc., (“GSMC”) entered into a compensation arrangement with Dr. Bahige Asaker for services which Steward cannot confirm were performed and thereby may have violated the anti-kickback statute. Third, Steward disclosed to the Government that GSMC entered into arrangements with two urology centers, Brockton Urology Clinic and Adult & Pediatric Urology Center, P.C. for specified services which were not provided.
“My role as a physician is to uphold the integrity of the healthcare system and provide an environment that is committed to the health of our patients. This settlement will forge a brighter path for healthcare,” said Olivia Lanna, M.D., one of the three whistleblowers in the case.
The Settlement provides that Steward will pay the Government $4.7 million. After receipt of payment, the Government shall pay a relator’s award of approximately $725 thousand dollars to be split among the three whistleblowers. Also under the terms of the Settlement, GSMC and the Office of the Inspector General for the Department of Health and Human Services (OIG-HHS) shall enter into a Corporate Integrity Agreement.
- Shayne Kinsella Joins Arrowood LLP
- Arrowood LLP Partners Selected For The Best Lawyers in America
- Lisa G. Arrowood Recognized as a Leading Lawyer by Chambers USA
- Michael Pemstein Joins Arrowood LLP
- Lisa G. Arrowood Named One of Lawdragon’s 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers
- Boston Globe Spotlights Arrowood Client, Dr. David Sabatini
- Jed DeWick Authors Article For Boston Bar Journal
- Arrowood LLP Whistleblower Case Featured In Boston 25 News Story
- Notable Rulings in Arrowood LLP Case Recognized in “The Most Important Opinions of 2022”
- William F. McGonigle Named Partner at Arrowood LLP
- Arrowood Partners Named Top Lawyers for 2022 By Boston Magazine
- Arrowood LLP Scores Legal Victory Over Peer Review Privilege
- Arrowood LLP Ranked in U.S. News – Best Lawyers® 2023 “Best Law Firms”
- Jed DeWick Defeats Motion to Dismiss in Delaware’s Court of Chancery
- Seven Arrowood LLP Attorneys Recognized as 2022 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Kevin Zipkin Joins Arrowood LLP
- Three Arrowood Lawyers Named To The Best Lawyers in America for 2023
- Lisa G. Arrowood Becomes Massachusetts State Delegate for ABA
- Steward Health Care System to Settle Medicare and Medicaid Kickback Allegations for $4.7 Million
- Chambers USA Recognizes Lisa G. Arrowood as a Leading Lawyer
- Lawdragon Names Lisa G. Arrowood as a 2022 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyer
- Bill McGonigle Elected Member of Winchester Town Meeting
- Lisa G. Arrowood Certified as ABA State Delegate for Massachusetts
- Lisa G. Arrowood Named to 2021 Top Lawyers List by Boston Magazine
- Lisa Arrowood Co-Chairs 2021 Women in Litigation Joint CLE Conference
- Arrowood LLP Named a “Best Law Firm” For 2022
- Lisa G. Arrowood and Cathleen Augusto Win $4.4 Million Verdict In Failure To Diagnose Breast Cancer Case
- Lisa G. Arrowood Named To 2021 Best Lawyers® Business Edition: Litigation Issue
- Three Arrowood LLP Attorneys Named To The Best Lawyers in America©
- Jed DeWick and Maggie Strauss Obtain Summary Judgment on Behalf of Real Estate Development Client
- Lisa G. Arrowood Named One of Lawdragon’s 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers for 2021
- Lisa G. Arrowood Ranked as a Leading Lawyer by Chambers USA 2021
- Lisa G. Arrowood Represents Venture Capitalist in Legal Malpractice Case Against Proskauer Rose
- Arrowood LLP Defends Toll Bros. in Pending Lawsuit
- Lisa G. Arrowood Quoted in WBUR News Story
- Ray Ausrotas Provides Support For Pro Bono Attorneys Handling Asylum Matters In South Texas
- Lisa G. Arrowood Serves as Scoring Judge in National Trial Competition
- Lisa G. Arrowood Named To Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America For 2021
- Lisa G. Arrowood Represents Former Boston Medical Center Radiologist in Whistleblower and Gender Discrimination Case
- Cathleen Augusto, Arrowood LLP Associate, Chosen for Boston Bar Association’s Public Interest Leadership Program
- Arrowood LLP Named a “Best Law Firm” For 2021
- All Nine Arrowood LLP Attorneys Named 2020 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Lisa G. Arrowood Assists ABA Committee to Evaluate Nominee Amy Coney Barrett
- Raymond P. Ausrotas named 2021 Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" in the Boston area.
- Three Arrowood LLP Lawyers Named to 2021 The Best Lawyers in America List
- Jed DeWick Represents CGIT Systems Inc. in Covid-Related Discrimination Case
- Ray Ausrotas quoted in Mass Lawyers Weekly
- Sarah Sousa Honored by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly
- Lisa G. Arrowood secures $1.7 Million Settlement
- Arrowood LLP Partner Lisa G. Arrowood has been recognized by Chambers USA 2020.
- Lisa G. Arrowood has been selected to the 2020 Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers guide.
- Sarah E. A. Sousa Elected to Board of Directors for the Women’s Bar Association.
- Arrowood LLP Attorneys secure $25 million judgement in only business case among ‘TOP 10’ Massachusetts jury verdict of 2019
- Sarah B. Herlihy is now a Partner of the firm.
- Arrowood LLP has been named a Tier 1 firm in Boston
- 8 Arrowood LLP Attorneys named to the 2019 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- Two Arrowood LLP Partners were included in the 26th edition of Best Lawyers in America.
- Cathleen Augusto was appointed co-chair of the Boston Bar Association’s New Lawyers Forum.
- Partner Lisa G. Arrowood has been recognized by Chambers USA 2019.
- Lisa G. Arrowood Lectured at Brown University on Medical Malpractice, March 20, 2019
- Cathleen Augusto will co-chair the event steering committee for the BBF’s 10th Annual Casino Night
- Lisa Arrowood was on the panel for Women Trial Lawyers at the Boston Bar Association.
- Arrowood LLP has been named a Tier 1 firm in Boston for Commercial Litigation by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” in 2019.
- 5 Arrowood LLP Attorneys named to the 2018 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- Sarah B. Herlihy joins the firm as Of Counsel
- Lawyers Weekly Honors Lisa Arrowood
- Two Arrowood LLP Partners were included in the 2019 Best Lawyers in America List
- Lisa Arrowood and Margaret Strauss Reach $1,000,000 Settlement for Failure to Diagnose Lung Cancer
- Raymond P. Ausrotas Moderated the Social Law Library CLE TRIAL TALK: POINTERS FROM EXPERTS & THE BENCH
- Cathleen Augusto and Sarah Sousa held a panel discussion entitled “How to Excel as a Second Chair” on behalf of the New Lawyers Section at the Boston Bar Association.
- Attorney Lisa Arrowood was quoted in a Boston Globe Article
- Attorney Kevin B. Smith has joined the firm as an Associate
- Lisa G. Arrowood taught a CLE at the Trial Skills Workshop at Suffolk University Law School
- Two Arrowood LLP Attorneys Named to 2018 New England Best Lawyers List
- Lisa Arrowood quoted in BBJ article about “Boston’s supply of lawyers falls far short of busy firms’ heavy schedules”
- Lisa G. Arrowood did a Lecture at Brown University
- Lisa G. Arrowood spoke at the BBA Women’s Leadership & Advancement Forum Launch Event at the Boston College Club
- 5 Arrowood LLP Attorneys Named to 2017 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- Lisa Arrowood spoke on panel entitled "15 Leadership Insights from Women Who Know"
- Lisa Arrowood and Elizabeth Kayatta Panelists at “Women Lawyers Leading Cases in the Courtroom”
- Lisa Arrowood volunteered as a coach at the American College of Trial Lawyers First Annual Trial Skills Workshop
- Lisa Arrowood selected to the 2017 Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America
- Ray Ausrotas Provides Advice to Corporate Counsel
- Lisa Arrowood appointed to the ABA House of Delegates
- Arrowood LLP Ranked in 2017 "U.S. News Best Law Firms"
- Jed DeWick Wins Jury Verdict for International Cyber Security Firm
- 5 Arrowood LLP Attorneys Named to the 2016 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- Lisa Arrowood on the Cover of Super Lawyers Magazine
- Lisa Arrowood quoted on the BBA’s new program “Friday Fundamentals” in American Bar Association article
- Arrowood LLP welcomes new associate, Margaret E. Strauss
- Raymond Ausrotas Secures Favorable Decisions Before State Ballot Law Commission
- Lisa Arrowood, Jed DeWick, and Elizabeth Kayatta Win Jury Verdict for Fidelity Investments
- Lisa Arrowood was quoted in the recent Lawyers Weekly article "Women as first chairs: Amid successes, work remains"
- Lisa Arrowood Appointed to JNC Special Panel
- Lisa Arrowood Makes Statement on Retirement of Judge Henry J. Boroff
- Lisa Arrowood Spoke at National Conference of Bar Presidents
- Arrowood LLP Attended the BBF Adams Beneft
- Arrowood LLP Attorneys "Walk to the Hill" in Support of Civil Legal Aid
- Lisa Arrowood Discusses How to Create "Practice Ready" Lawyers
- Jed DeWick to Participate in Panel Discussing Jury Voir Dire
- Lisa Arrowood, BBA President, Visits Specialty Courts
- Boston Globe Publishes Letter from Lisa Arrowood Supporting Race-Conscious Admissions Policies in Higher Education
- Four Arrowood LLP Attorneys Named to the 2015 Super Lawyers List
- Tobacco 'Dream Team' Includes Arrowood LLP Attorneys
- Lisa Arrowood Featured as Speaker at MCLE's "Conversation with the Legends" Program
- Raymond Ausrotas Secures Agreement for Judgment of Over $450,000 in Trade Secret and Noncompetition Case
- Boston Globe Covers Wrongful Death Lawsuit Filing
- Lisa G. Arrowood Begins Term as President of Boston Bar Association
- Jury Verdict Upheld by First Circuit
- Lisa Arrowood was a Panelist for "Pathways to the Bench" Program
- Edward Foye Joins Arrowood LLP
- Raymond Ausrotas Secures Dismissal of Out of State Case Involving Successor Liability Claim
- Jed DeWick and Elizabeth Kayatta Win $650,000 Settlement in College Suicide Lawsuit
- Lisa Arrowood Named to Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America Guide
- Raymond Ausrotas selected as a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly Article Features Recent Trial Victory
- Jed DeWick and Elizabeth Kayatta Win $1.1 Million Verdict in Medical Malpractice Lawsuit
- Lisa Arrowood serves as panelist for “Tired of Playing Second Fiddle in Court? How to Move Up to First Chair”
- Lisa Arrowood Obtains $500,000 in Medical Malpractice Case
- Lisa Arrowood and Jed DeWick Reach $5.25 Million Settlement in Child Brain Injury Case
- $600,000 Settlement Achieved for Man Who Suffered Partial Vision Loss After Laser Eye Surgery
- Raymond Ausrotas Served as Guest Lecturer at Fall 2014 B.U. Law School Course on Electronic Discovery
- Lisa Arrowood & Kevin Peters Selected to 2015 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
- Arrowood Peters LLP Listed in 2015 Best Law Firms
- Six Arrowood Peters Attorneys Named to the 2014 Massachusetts Super Lawyers & Rising Stars Lists
- Lisa Arrowood & Kevin Peters Selected to 2014 Best Lawyers in America
- Lisa Arrowood Inducted into the International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Raymond Ausrotas Lead Author of LexisNexis Guide to Massachusetts Civil Trial Practice
- Lisa Arrowood nominated as President-Elect by the Boston Bar Association
- Lisa Arrowood and Jed DeWick Obtain Summary Judgment On Behalf of Large Financial Services Firm
- Raymond Ausrotas Served as Trial Advisor in the Winter 2014 Harvard Law School Trial Advocacy Workshop
- Raymond Ausrotas Served as Guest Lecturer at Fall 2013 B.U. Law School Course on Electronic Discovery
- Arrowood Peters LLP Ranked as First Tier Firm in 2014 U.S. News - Best Law Firms
- Jed DeWick Appointed Chairperson of the Massachusetts Bar Association Civil Litigation Section Council
- Lisa Arrowood of Arrowood Peters LLP Ranked Number 2 in Massachusetts by Super Lawyers
- Six Arrowood Peters Attorneys Named 2013 New England Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Lisa Arrowood Obtains $410,000 Settlement for Woman Injured in Golf Cart Accident
- Lisa Arrowood and Kevin Peters Selected by Peers to be Included in 2014 Best Lawyers in America
- Jed DeWick Provides Pro-Bono Representation to Victims of Boston Marathon Bombing
- Raymond Ausrotas Serves As Panelist At MCLE Seminar, Civil Motions Practice
- Arrowood Peters LLP Selected by Peers for 2013 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
- Lisa Arrowood Lectures at Suffolk Law School
- Raymond Ausrotas Served as Trial Advisor in the Harvard Law School Winter 2013 Trial Advocacy Workshop
- Lisa Arrowood Selected as 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Labor & Employment
- Lisa Arrowood Wins Lawsuit Reinstatement from Appeals Court
- Lisa Arrowood was a Panelist at ABA Seminar
- Arrowood Peters LLP Becomes a Boston Bar Sustaining Member
- Five Arrowood Peters Attorneys Named to 2012 New England Super Lawyers
- Lisa Arrowood Recognized as One of the Top Ten Lawyers in Massachusetts
- $150,000 Settlement Won at Mediation for Toddler Given Wrong Medication
- $150,000 Settlement to 12-Year-Old who Suffered Post-Appendicitis Damage
- Raymond P. Ausrotas Lead Author of Lexis Guide to Massachusetts Civil Pretrial Practice
- Arrowood Peters LLP Receives Tier 1 Ranking in 2013 Edition of U.S. News 'Best Law Firms'
- Lisa Arrowood has been recognized by Lawyers Weekly as one of Massachusetts Top Women of Law
- Lisa Arrowood Selected by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly as One of Its Top Women of Law
- Lisa Arrowood Elected Secretary of the Boston Bar Association
- Lisa Arrowood Recognized by Chambers USA
- Raymond Ausrotas Authors Article Published by ABA Litigation Committee Regarding Deposition Breaks
- Lisa Arrowood Chosen for 2012 Edition of America's Most Honored Professionals
- Lisa Arrowood & Kevin Peters Selected for 2012 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
- Raymond Ausrotas Quoted in Mass. Lawyers Weekly Article on SJC Decision
- Raymond Ausrotas Served as Trial Advisor in the Harvard Law School Winter 2012 Trial Advocacy Workshop
- Lisa Arrowood Quoted in Boston Business Journal
- Arrowood Peters LLP Listed in 2015 Best Law Firms
- Lisa Arrowood and Kevin Peters Selected as “Top Lawyers” in American Lawyer’s Annual Guide to Commercial Litigation
- Four Arrowood Peters LLP Attorneys Named 2011 New England Super Lawyers
- Lisa Arrowood, Kevin Peters, Raymond Ausrotas, and Jed DeWick Found Arrowood Peters LLP
- Raymond P. Ausrotas is announced as "Chair, MBA Section Council in Civil Litigation, 2011-12"
- Lisa Arrowood Quoted in Nature.com Article on Gender Discrimination in Medical Research
- Raymond Ausrotas Moderates Panel of 3 Superior Court Judges at MBA's Centennial Conference
- Raymond Ausrotas Served as Panelist at MBA's Employment Law Open Meeting
- Lisa Arrowood and Jed DeWick Obtain $3M Settlement in Kernicterus Case
- Raymond Ausrotas Featured in MBA's Civil Litigation News
- Lisa Arrowood's Case Named as One of Massachusetts Verdicts Topping $1 Million in 2010
- Lisa Arrowood on MCLE Panel: "Winning Your Case Before Trial"
- Lisa Arrowood Named "Leading Individual" by Chambers USA
- Lisa Arrowood Panelist at Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys Trial Success Stories Program
- Lisa Arrowood Wins $2.4 Million in Medical Malpractice Trial
- Lisa Arrowood Named in 2010 "New England Super Lawyers" Magazine
- Lisa Arrowood and Jed DeWick Achieve $700,000 Settlement for Client
- Lisa Arrowood Named "Boston's Best Lawyers"
- Lisa Arrowood Named "Leading Lawyer" by Chambers USA
- Lisa Arrowood Serves as Trial Advisor in the Harvard Law School Winter 2010 Trial Advocacy Workshop
- Lisa Arrowood Speaks on BBA Program: "Is the Civil Justice System in Serious Need of Repair?"
- Lisa Arrowood Settles Claim on Impending Stroke for $750,000
- Lisa Arrowood Presents at BBA's Young Lawyers Section on the Basics of Medical Malpractice
- Lisa Arrowood Elected as Member of Boston Bar Association Council
- Lisa Arrowood Named State Chair of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- $800,000 Settlement Achieved by Lisa Arrowood in Sex Discrimination Suit
- Lisa Arrowood and Jed DeWick Win $1.9 Million Verdict in Medical Malpractice Trial
- Lisa Arrowood Settles Medical Malpractice Claim for $500,000 in Shunt Malfunction Case
- Lisa Arrowood and Raymond Ausrotas Achieve $1.75 Million Settlement in Gastric Bypass Case
- Lisa Arrowood Serves as "Bench Meets Bar" Panelist
- Lisa Arrowood Appointed by SJC to Board of Bar Overseers
- Lisa Arrowood Settles Automobile Accident Claim for Non-US Resident
- Lisa Arrowood and Jed DeWick Settle Medical Malpractice Claim for $315,000
- Lisa G. Arrowood Obtains $250,000 Settlement in Infant Jaundice Case
- Lisa Arrowood Teaches at Training Program for Center for Legal Aid Education and American College of Trial Lawyers
- Lisa Arrowood and Jed DeWick Obtain $460,000 Settlement for Family in Infant Death Case
- 11th Annual Personal Injury Law Conference Features Lisa Arrowood
- Lisa Arrowood Named "Massachusetts Super Lawyers"
- "Overcoming Juror Bias in Your Tort Cases" Panel Features Lisa Arrowood
- Lisa Arrowood Lectures at Brown University
- "Medical Malpractice Update" Panel Features Lisa Arrowood
- Lisa Arrowood and Raymond Ausrotas Achieve $2.62 Million Verdict in Child Abuse Case Against School
- Lisa Arrowood Advises at Harvard Law School Trial Advocacy Workshop
- Lisa Arrowood, Ray Ausrotas, and Ed Foye Secure Top Verdicts and Settlements of 2006
- Lisa Arrowood Obtains $8.4M Settlement in Fire Case
- $350,000 Settlement for MS Diagnosis Not Reported by Doctor
- $2 Million Personal Injury Verdict Won for Child Who Was Victim of School Abuse
- Lisa Arrowood Named to "Massachusetts Super Lawyers"
- $5 Million Settlement for Family of Child With Brain Damage Following Birth
- $1.01 Million Settlement Won for Mother Who Suffered Stroke While Delivering Twins
- Lisa Arrowood Appears on “Legal Briefs” Television Program
- $5 Million Settlement Achieved for Family in Kernicterus Case