J.D., George Washington University Law School
B.A., Brown University, with Honors
District of Columbia
Supreme Court of the United States
United States Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit
United States District Court, Massachusetts
United States District Court, District of Columbia
Professional Activities and Organizations
Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
Chair, MBA Section Council in Civil Litigation, 2011–12
Vice Chair, MBA Section Council in Civil Litigation, 2010–2011
Member, MBA Section Council in Civil Litigation, 2008–2010
Member, Boston Bar Association
Member, American Bar Association
Ray Ausrotas, founding partner of Arrowood LLP, has a diverse commercial and general litigation practice, representing individuals, shareholders and corporate officers, and governmental and business entities, in a broad variety of disputes (including over non-competes and trade secrets) and administrative agency matters.
Ray handles all manner of claims through trial and appeal, in state and federal court, including those sounding in breach of fiduciary duty, misappropriation of confidential information, unfair trade, tortious interference, negligence, and professional liability. He also helps his clients seek relief in alternative dispute resolution forums such as arbitration and mediation, and has performed internal and employment investigations on their behalf.
Ray has often handled cases outside of Massachusetts in New England and several other locations and tribunals, including Delaware Chancery Court, the London Court of International Arbitration, and specialized business courts in North Carolina, Maine and Georgia. Over his nearly 25 years of practice, he has built a network of trusted colleagues to assist on matters as local counsel in jurisdictions around the country, including California, Florida, Texas and New York.
Before starting Arrowood LLP in 2011, he was a partner at Todd & Weld LLP in Boston, and an associate attorney at the law firm Jackson & Campbell in Washington DC, where he first started practicing in the late 1990s after law school.
Ray is the lead author of both Massachusetts Civil Trial Practice and Massachusetts Pretrial Practice, published by LexisNexis as part of its practice guide series. Each book is regularly updated and provides, in a single source, a practical task-oriented guide to many technical and legal aspects of civil trials and pretrial practice in Massachusetts state courts.
He has been named to both the “Top 100 New England” and “Top 100 Massachusetts” Super Lawyers lists each year since 2014, in the areas of Business Litigation and General Litigation, after having been recognized by that publication (including as a “Rising Star”) in prior years.
Since 2017, Ray has also been recognized nationally by Best Lawyers®, a peer review organization with an over thirty-year history, in the areas of Commercial Litigation and Litigation – Regulatory Enforcement, and was named the 2021 “Lawyer of the Year” for Boston in the latter category.
He has served multiple times as a Trial Advisor for the Trial Advocacy Workshop at Harvard Law School, and for a semester as an adjunct instructor faculty member on appellate practice at New England School of Law (now New England Law), and guest lectured at Boston University School of Law on admissibility of electronic evidence.
As listed in more detail below, he has chaired and participated as a panel member on several statewide CLE presentations, and authored published articles in legal publications, as well as newspaper columns on current legal issues.
A member of the Massachusetts Bar Association, Ray served as the organization’s Chair of the Civil Litigation Section during its 2011-2012 term. He is also a member of the American Bar Association and Boston Bar Association.
Prior to attending George Washington University Law School, Ray worked as an assistant cross country coach at Brown University (where he received his undergraduate degree in English with honors), and as a staff member for both Congressional and Massachusetts legislative committees. His policy work was focused in the areas of science and technology, campaign finance, voter registration and ballot access, as well as state ethics and conflict-of-interest laws.
Ray has twice been trial counsel on “Top Ten” verdicts awarded for the year in Massachusetts:
- In 2019, together with Ed Foye of Arrowood LLP, Ray was lead attorney on a complex jury trial involving both direct and derivative shareholder claims, sounding in breach of fiduciary duty. Following three weeks of evidence and testimony, the jury awarded a favorable $16 Million verdict, which was increased to a $25 Million judgment with mandatory interest. The verdict was one of the “Top 10” awarded by a jury in Massachusetts in 2019 – and the only business dispute among the Top 10. The result was summarily affirmed by the Appeals Court in an unpublished decision in December of 2021.
- In 2006, together with partner Lisa G. Arrowood as first-chair, and former colleague Nick Carter, Ray tried a case which recovered the 10th largest jury verdict that year on behalf of an autistic boy, against his school’s medical director, as well as various administrators and teachers, arising out of physical and emotional abuse. The $2 Million award was delivered following a six-week jury trial.
Reported decisions on which Ray was lead counsel include:
- Future St. Ltd. V. Big Belly Solar, LLC, 2020 U.S. Dist LEXIS 136999 (D. Mass. 2020) In a case a legal commentator recognized as “one of the first cases to consider the defense based on COVID-19,” Court denied opposing side’s attempt to avoid its contractual obligations on force majeure grounds, and entered an injunction – including a three year noncompete provision – in favor of client (a worldwide leading provider of solar-powered intelligent waste and recycling bins) against licensee.
- Techtarget, Inc. v. Spark Design, LLC, et al., 746 F. Supp. 2d 353 (D. Mass. 2010). Court granted dismissal of case in favor of client, an investor in a distressed company, for failure to allege sufficient facts to either pierce corporate veil or establish promissory estoppel.
- Confederate Motors, Inc. v. Terny, 831 F. Supp. 2d 414 (D. Mass. July 18, 2011). Court denied opposing side’s dismissal motion attempting to enforce settlement, allowing client’s counterclaims — sounding in breach of fiduciary duty and violation of securities laws — to continue.
- Id., 859 F. Supp. 2d 181 (D. Mass. 2012). Court found client, former Director of publicly-traded company, to be entitled to advancement of fees under Delaware law as to defense of qualifying counts.
Honors and Awards
- Named to the “Top 100 New England” and “Top 100 Massachusetts” Super Lawyers lists annually since 2014 – Business Litigation
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© annually since 2017 for Commercial Litigation and Litigation / Regulatory Enforcement (SEC, Telecom, Energy) and named the Best Lawyers® 2021 “Lawyer of the Year” for Boston in the latter category.
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell® in the categories of Litigation and Business Law
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
Publications and Lectures
- Moderator, the Social Law Library CLE Trial Talk, “Pointers From Experts & The Bench”
- Panelist, “Tales from the Trenches: A Litigator’s View on Business Formation Documents and LOI Issues,” January 12, 2017
- Lead Author, Massachusetts Civil Trial Practice, book published by LexisNexis, April 2014
- Chair, “Digital Forensics For Litigators,” April 2014
- Panelist, Civil Motions Practice, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education Inc., May 2013
- Guest Lecturer, Electronic Evidence, Boston University Law School, December 2013 and December 2014
- Lead Author, Massachusetts Civil Pretrial Practice, book published by LexisNexis, September 2012
- Author, “Discoverability of Deposition Breaks,” ABA Pretrial Practice & Discovery Newsletter, June 2012
- Author, “Look Before You Leap: Non-Compete Law in Massachusetts,” Massachusetts Lawyers Journal, December 2010
- Author, “Discovery of Social Media,” MBA’s edition of Civil Litigation News, February 2011
- Author, “When Negligence Is Not A Crime,” MBA Section Review, Vol. 12, No. 3, 2010
- Panelist, MBA Employment Law Open Meeting, “Analyzing Global NAPs v. Awizus”, March 2011
- Moderator, panel of 3 Superior Court judges, “Effective Use of Evidence During Your Case,” MBA Centennial Conference, May 2011
- Program chair and panelist, MBA Trial Practice Roundtable (presented on direct and cross-examination), August 2009
Voluntary and Civic Involvement
- Trial Advisor, Harvard Law School Trial Advocacy Workshop, January 2011 – January 2014
- Adjunct Instructor, Appellate Advocacy, New England School of Law, 2007-08
- Member, Cambridge Democratic City Committee, 2005-2014 (Ward 11)
News & Results
Arrowood LLP Recognized in Best Law Firms® 2024 Edition
Posted on: 11/02/2023
Six Arrowood LLP Attorneys Selected to 2023 Super Lawyers
Posted on: 10/17/2023
Arrowood LLP Partners Selected For The Best Lawyers in America
Posted on: 08/17/2023
Arrowood Partners Named Top Lawyers for 2022 By Boston Magazine
Posted on: 12/05/2022
Seven Arrowood LLP Attorneys Recognized as 2022 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Posted on: 10/17/2022
Three Arrowood Lawyers Named To The Best Lawyers in America for 2023
Posted on: 08/30/2022
Three Arrowood LLP Attorneys Named To The Best Lawyers in America©
Posted on: 08/19/2021
Ray Ausrotas Provides Support For Pro Bono Attorneys Handling Asylum Matters In South Texas
Posted on: 03/29/2021
Arrowood LLP Named a “Best Law Firm” For 2021
Posted on: 11/06/2020
All Nine Arrowood LLP Attorneys Named 2020 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Posted on: 10/26/2020
Raymond P. Ausrotas named 2021 Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year” in the Boston area.
Posted on: 08/24/2020
Three Arrowood LLP Lawyers Named to 2021 The Best Lawyers in America List
Posted on: 08/24/2020
Ray Ausrotas quoted in Mass Lawyers Weekly
Posted on: 07/30/2020
Arrowood LLP Attorneys secure $25 million judgement in only business case among ‘TOP 10’ Massachusetts jury verdict of 2019
Posted on: 03/20/2020
8 Arrowood LLP Attorneys named to the 2019 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
Posted on: 10/14/2019
Two Arrowood LLP Partners were included in the 26th edition of Best Lawyers in America.
Posted on: 08/16/2019
5 Arrowood LLP Attorneys named to the 2018 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
Posted on: 10/19/2018
Two Arrowood LLP Partners were included in the 2019 Best Lawyers in America List
Posted on: 08/28/2018
Raymond P. Ausrotas Moderated the Social Law Library CLE TRIAL TALK: POINTERS FROM EXPERTS & THE BENCH
Posted on: 06/06/2018
Two Arrowood LLP Attorneys Named to 2018 New England Best Lawyers List
Posted on: 05/01/2018
5 Arrowood LLP Attorneys Named to 2017 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
Posted on: 10/18/2017
Ray Ausrotas Provides Advice to Corporate Counsel
Posted on: 01/12/2017
5 Arrowood LLP Attorneys Named to the 2016 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
Posted on: 10/18/2016
Raymond Ausrotas Secures Favorable Decisions Before State Ballot Law Commission
Posted on: 07/12/2016
Arrowood LLP Attended the BBF Adams Beneft
Posted on: 01/31/2016
Four Arrowood LLP Attorneys Named to the 2015 Super Lawyers List
Posted on: 10/26/2015
Raymond Ausrotas Secures Agreement for Judgment of Over $450,000 in Trade Secret and Noncompetition Case
Posted on: 09/30/2015
Raymond Ausrotas Secures Dismissal of Out of State Case Involving Successor Liability Claim
Posted on: 05/01/2015
Raymond Ausrotas selected as a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
Posted on: 03/18/2015
Raymond Ausrotas Served as Guest Lecturer at Fall 2014 B.U. Law School Course on Electronic Discovery
Posted on: 11/25/2014
Six Arrowood Peters Attorneys Named to the 2014 Massachusetts Super Lawyers & Rising Stars Lists
Posted on: 10/17/2014
Raymond Ausrotas Lead Author of LexisNexis Guide to Massachusetts Civil Trial Practice
Posted on: 05/05/2014
Raymond Ausrotas Served as Trial Advisor in the Winter 2014 Harvard Law School Trial Advocacy Workshop
Posted on: 01/24/2014
Raymond Ausrotas Served as Guest Lecturer at Fall 2013 B.U. Law School Course on Electronic Discovery
Posted on: 12/04/2013
Six Arrowood Peters Attorneys Named 2013 New England Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
Posted on: 11/01/2013
Raymond Ausrotas Serves As Panelist At MCLE Seminar, Civil Motions Practice
Posted on: 05/23/2013
Raymond Ausrotas Served as Trial Advisor in the Harvard Law School Winter 2013 Trial Advocacy Workshop
Posted on: 01/24/2013
Five Arrowood Peters Attorneys Named to 2012 New England Super Lawyers
Posted on: 11/01/2012
Raymond P. Ausrotas Lead Author of Lexis Guide to Massachusetts Civil Pretrial Practice
Posted on: 09/28/2012
Raymond Ausrotas Authors Article Published by ABA Litigation Committee Regarding Deposition Breaks
Posted on: 06/13/2012
Raymond Ausrotas Quoted in Mass. Lawyers Weekly Article on SJC Decision
Posted on: 01/30/2012
Raymond Ausrotas Served as Trial Advisor in the Harvard Law School Winter 2012 Trial Advocacy Workshop
Posted on: 01/20/2012
Four Arrowood Peters LLP Attorneys Named 2011 New England Super Lawyers
Posted on: 11/01/2011
Lisa Arrowood, Kevin Peters, Raymond Ausrotas, and Jed DeWick Found Arrowood Peters LLP
Posted on: 09/19/2011
Raymond P. Ausrotas is announced as “Chair, MBA Section Council in Civil Litigation, 2011-12”
Posted on: 09/01/2011
Raymond Ausrotas Moderates Panel of 3 Superior Court Judges at MBA’s Centennial Conference
Posted on: 05/19/2011
Raymond Ausrotas Served as Panelist at MBA’s Employment Law Open Meeting
Posted on: 03/29/2011
Raymond Ausrotas Featured in MBA’s Civil Litigation News
Posted on: 02/02/2011
Lisa Arrowood and Raymond Ausrotas Achieve $1.75 Million Settlement in Gastric Bypass Case
Posted on: 03/23/2009
Lisa Arrowood and Raymond Ausrotas Achieve $2.62 Million Verdict in Child Abuse Case Against School
Posted on: 02/05/2007
Lisa Arrowood, Ray Ausrotas, and Ed Foye Secure Top Verdicts and Settlements of 2006
Posted on: 01/15/2007
$2 Million Personal Injury Verdict Won for Child Who Was Victim of School Abuse
Posted on: 11/17/2006
$5 Million Settlement for Family of Child With Brain Damage Following Birth
Posted on: 09/14/2006
$5 Million Settlement Achieved for Family in Kernicterus Case
Posted on: 05/01/2006