J.D., Boston College Law School
Hobart and William Smith Colleges
United States District Court, Massachusetts
Professional Activities and Organizations
Member, American Bar Association, 2019-present
Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
Member, Women’s Bar Association, 2014-present
Board of Directors, 2020-present
Co-Chair, New Lawyers Committee, 2017-present
Member, Legislative Policy Committee, 2016-present
Member, Boston Bar Association, 2017-present
Member, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee, 2020-present
Sarah Sousa’s practice focuses on the areas of employment and business law and civil litigation. She represents both plaintiffs and defendants in all manner of employment claims including discrimination, sexual harassment, retaliation, non-competition and non-solicitation, whistleblower, and wage and hour disputes. She has also represented both employees and employers in class action litigation. Sarah has tried cases in state court and before administrative agencies, such as the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination.
Recognized for her work in employment law, Sarah was honored as a 2020 “Up & Coming Lawyer” for Excellence in the Law by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly. She was also named a Massachusetts Super Lawyers “Rising Star” for employment law in 2019 and 2020.
Outside of her work at Arrowood, Sarah is actively involved in the Women’s Bar Association, where she serves on the board of directors and co-chairs the Women’s Bar Association’s New Lawyers Committee, which serves attorneys who have been practicing for ten years or less. She also volunteers for the Women’s Bar Foundation’s Family Law Project for Domestic Abuse Survivors, representing low-income domestic abuse survivors in divorce and related proceedings.
Sarah graduated from Hobart and William Smith Colleges, and received her J.D. from Boston College Law School.
- Together with Lisa G. Arrowood, represented whistleblowers who filed a False Claims Act complaint on behalf of the United States and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts against Steward Health Care System, resulting in a $4.7 million settlement related to Medicare and Medicaid kickback allegations.
- Worked with Arrowood LLP partner, Lisa G. Arrowood, to reach $900,000 settlement on behalf of executive alleging gender discrimination claims arising from hostile work environment.
- Represented commercial photographers in arbitration, conducted remotely, against former representation in breach of contract claims.
- Worked with Arrowood LLP partner, Raymond P. Ausrotas, to reach $1,200,000 class-wide settlement on behalf of Massachusetts inside sales employees in claim alleging failure to pay overtime in violation of Massachusetts law.
- Worked with partner Lisa G. Arrowood to reach $400,000 settlement on behalf of former head of private elementary school alleging age and gender discrimination claims.
Honors and Awards
- 2020 Rising Star for Employment Law, Super Lawyers
- 2019 Rising Star for Employment Law, Super Lawyers
- Honored as a 2020 Up & Coming Lawyer for Excellence in the Law, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly
Publications and Lectures
- Author, “Chapter 6: Selected Federal Evidentiary Issues,” Federal Civil Litigation in the First Circuit, August 2019
News & Results
Jed DeWick and Sarah E. A. Sousa Win Dismissal of Discrimination Case
Posted on: 10/26/2023
Six Arrowood LLP Attorneys Selected to 2023 Super Lawyers
Posted on: 10/17/2023
Notable Rulings in Arrowood LLP Case Recognized in “The Most Important Opinions of 2022”
Posted on: 01/23/2023
Arrowood LLP Scores Legal Victory Over Peer Review Privilege
Posted on: 11/26/2022
Seven Arrowood LLP Attorneys Recognized as 2022 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Posted on: 10/17/2022
Steward Health Care System to Settle Medicare and Medicaid Kickback Allegations for $4.7 Million
Posted on: 06/13/2022
All Nine Arrowood LLP Attorneys Named 2020 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Posted on: 10/26/2020
Sarah Sousa Honored by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly
Posted on: 07/22/2020
Sarah E. A. Sousa Elected to Board of Directors for the Women’s Bar Association.
Posted on: 04/02/2020
8 Arrowood LLP Attorneys named to the 2019 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
Posted on: 10/14/2019
Cathleen Augusto and Sarah Sousa held a panel discussion entitled “How to Excel as a Second Chair” on behalf of the New Lawyers Section at the Boston Bar Association.
Posted on: 06/05/2018